Saturday, October 23, 2010

Mathematics All Day

The video "Teaching Students the Magic of Math", by the Edutopia Staff, indicated that test scores have improved in math for schools that use it constantly throughout the day.  Every subject (science, geography, language arts) including specials (music, physical education, art) is required to include math instruction in their lessons.  The students become very familiar with math concepts and terminology.  Workshops for teachers are held regularly.  At these workshops all of the teachers get on the same page so that their lesson plans focus on the same concepts being learned in math at that time.  This is the first I have ever heard of anything done like this with math.  I think the extent these schools go to to ensure their students succeed in math is wonderful.  I feel like the administration has a well thought out plan and is implementing it nicely.  It is a shame more schools are not functioning like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment